Common wisdom has it that web directories entered a decline and then died off with the rise of search engines, only to experience a revival as people began to value personal recommendations again.
But of course web directories never went anywhere. We just call them awesome lists now. My favorites are:
- Awesome Selfhosted (as in web apps)
- Awesome Shell (as in shell script)
- and of course awesome lists (how meta is that?)
There are others, too. Many, in fact. I just wish they weren't almost all GitHub-exclusive.
But there are other kinds of web directories. I maintain a few of my own:
- Bounty of Bookmarks (a combined web directory and linklog)
- Linking the web (mostly about development)
- Fantastic links (about sci-fi and fantasy)
And of course there's my webcomic catalog, the first I started.